Friday, August 24, 2007

A SONG THAT WAS NEVER HEARD

Do you know how many songs are there already? I don’t think so. And neither do I. Answering this would take more than a lifetime. Well, of course, so long as there is humanity or any living thing in this world, there will always be music, there will always be songs.
...
People write songs to express what or how they feel. Some make them for their religion, some for their loved ones, some for their country, some for themselves, and some for money. That is why there are songs that tell a sad story or proclaim a victory or declare passion and love or simply say nothing important at all, et cetera.
...
But I’m not writing for the facts nor for the technicalities of it, I’m here to tell a story about a song that was never heard. I know you haven’t heard every song there is, but this one was never heard by anyone except, of course, the one who made it.
...
Three years ago, I had the chance of meeting this person in a gathering. I forgot how old he was but I think he was two years my senior and I was 15 then. Hahaha! I’m just kidding, I was 19? Hahaha! Anyway, he was the one I first noticed when I arrived. He’s not attractive, okay. It’s just that he was alone and appeared to be in need of someone to talk to. Fortunately, we were introduced by a common friend. So I learned that he was some guitarist/vocalist of a band. And again, I forgot the name. And after we were introduced, he went back to being alone, stuck in that corner of the room, holding a pen and a paper, and trying to write something despite the noise. I thought he was preparing for a speech so I approached him thinking I could be of help. What more will you expect from me? Hahaha! But he didn’t notice me until I spoke, imagine that! Hahaha! I know he was not up for a conversation but I know he wanted to talk to someone. Good thing he was a perfect gentleman, definitely far from his rough look. And when I finally got him to talk, I found out that he was not writing a speech, he’s not even one of those who will be giving one. You got it! He’s writing the song I’m talking about. I asked him what the song is all about and for whom. He didn’t tell me. Huhuhu! He said that he just started writing. I know he just made that up just to stop me from questioning and I respected that. I actually sensed that it was really a personal matter. And I let him be. And later that night, the common friend I told you a while ago drove me home. Unexpectedly, he was asking a lot about the guy instead of me asking about him. But then the asking turned into storytelling. I then learned that he, the guy I just met that is, just broke up with his “rumoured” girlfriend. Rumoured because what they had, according to them, was not official. The parents didn’t know though I’m sure they were one of the reasons of the break up and even their friends didn’t know the real score between them. They were just shocked that they broke-up. I don’t know how true this break up is but it’s their business. What’s more shocking is that the host that night was actually the “rumoured” girlfriend. I just hope I didn’t offend the girl by talking to him that night. If only I knew. Well, the girl still invited me a year after, maybe it was nothing to her anymore. Now then, I knew what the secrecy was all about. It must have been very hard for him that night.
...
I thought I won’t be seeing him again after that but a trip back home was all I need. We were still familiar with each other since it was just a week later. So we were seatmates during the trip, which is to my advantage. Of course, I can now ask about that **** song. And I had an hour and a half to do that. Hahaha! He was probably cursing me back then but I don’t care. So I kept on asking until he shared a little. But the sharing had been all about his band and their music and the possibility to disband. And for the song, he just said that he’s still working on it. I wish I could ask more but then I knew I had to stop. Heartbreak is enough for the poor guy and constantly reminding him of it is already cruelty. Hahaha! In short, I didn’t get anything from that trip.
...
And now, after three years, I saw him again. He was not the rough-looking guy anymore. I must say that he really improved, physically. Hahaha! We did a short chitchatting and, accordingly, he just arrived from Manila last week and he’s going back this weekend. The funny thing was that the first thing I asked him was the song he was working on three years ago, which made him burst into intense laughter. He couldn’t believe that I still remember that after all these years. If it wasn’t clear to me then, there’s no way I could get over it, I told him that, which made him laugh even more! Hahaha! But to answer my question, he said that I can have it if I want to. I asked why, of course! And he said that there’s no reason to keep it and he sighed. I didn’t ask further and I didn’t accept the offer though I was tempted to give in. Just the fact that he made it for the one he loves or loved and that the one he was supposed to give it to didn’t have it first is more than enough for me to forget it. And we parted.
...
But I didn’t stop there. I texted all my friends who knew the girl and I found out that the girl is already married and now, expecting her first baby. I guess that explains the sigh…
...
Actually, I’m still wondering about the song because somehow I can relate with the guy in some ways. I also have written some songs but at least some of mine were already heard. I’m still thinking what the song is all about, how it sounds like, and how deep, passionate, or meaningful are the words in it, et cetera. And I wonder how it must have felt to give away what you have worked hard for or to have someone else make use of it.
...
[Sigh]I’ll try not to write this kind of an article again. Hahaha!

No comments:

Post a Comment